We need volunteers for our Water Project! Can you help?
The Cameroon Association of Active Youths (CAMAAY) is a grass-roots community empowerment NGO that is working cooperatively with local villages and international volunteers to solve a crisis in the availability of clean water in the 14 districts of the North West Region. Although most have water supply systems that were built fairly recently, many were poorly designed and have been improperly protected and maintained. The villagers often end up drinking from nearby streams polluted with pesticides and animal feces, causing disease and even death.
Implement emergency measures to protect and extend the water supply in the Batibo district (pop. 70,000).
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with schools and committed individuals within the community to setup and maintain a water flow measurement system in each of 20 villages.
- Help construct fences and install locks on access points as necessary to protect water catchment areas.
- Help plant trees to protect water catchment areas from runoff and erosion.
- Work with our Community Organizer to run village workshops about the importance of clean water and to brainstorm ways to conserve water.
Bamenda, Northwest Region
Requirements/Qualifications and Skills:
- A commitment to helping others
- Basic knowledge of water management practices desired but not required
- Fluency in written and spoken English (French is an asset)
- Ability to collect, measure and file data efficiently and accurately
- Ability to work on your own in sometimes difficult circumstances, with limited guidance or supervision
- Ability to work cooperatively as a team member with indivduals from other cultures
Cost and Duration: You should plan on paying €10 – €15/day ($12 – $18) for room, board and incidentals. Assignments can be from one to six months long, at your choosing.
How to Apply:
To apply for this role, please email our International Affairs Coordinator, Jill Hinckley at email@example.com. Attach Motivation letter/letter of interest, Curriculum Vitae/resume and any other relevant documentation that addresses the requirements above.