We’re looking for a motivated Engineer to volunteer with our Water Project in the Batibo district of Cameroon.
The Cameroon Association of Active Youths (CAMAAY) is a grass-roots community empowerment NGO that is working cooperatively with local villages and international volunteers to solve a crisis in the availability of clean water in the 14 districts of the North West Region. Although most have water supply systems that were built fairly recently, many were poorly designed and have been improperly protected and maintained. The villagers often end up drinking from nearby streams polluted with pesticides and animal feces, causing disease and even death.
- Implement emergency measures to protect and extend the water supply in the Batibo district (pop. 70,000).
- Design system improvements and maintenance measures to supply ample clean water on an ongoing basis.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design plans to show where fences should be installed and trees planted in each of the 35 catchment areas that need them, and motivate local volunteers to accomplish this work by explaining why and how these are important.
- Establish and implement procedures for collecting flow data and locate or generate soil and topography maps for all villages identified in our baseline study as needing water system rehabilitation.
- Identify up to 10 projects that meet the criteria for the U.S. Ambassador’s self-help grants and work with village elders to prepare applications.
- Work with our Community Organizer to run village workshops about the importance of clean water.
- Install and monitor chlorine dispensers at locations where water is taken from polluters streams.
- Work with Helvetas and Water Management Committees (WMCs) to recruit, train and supervise caretakers
Bamenda, Northwest Region
Requirements/Qualifications and Skills:
- Post-graduate study in Engineering and Water Supply or any Similar Qualification
- Fluency in written and spoken English (French is an asset)
- Ability to work on your own in sometimes difficult circumstances, with limited guidance or supervision
- Ability to work cooperatively as a team member with indivduals from other cultures
Cost: You should plan on paying €10 – 15/day ($12 – $18 US) for room, board and incidentals. Assignments are from one to six months, at your choosing.
How to Apply:
To apply for this role, please email our International Affairs Coordinator, Jill Hinckley at email@example.com. Attach Motivation letter/letter of interest, Curriculum Vitae/resume and any other relevant documentation that addresses the requirements above.